May 29, 2016 - It's All Coming Together

April and May have been busy, exciting months for yours truly!  In mid-April I shared a booth with my photographer daughter, Gina, at the Lacombe Art Show and Sale -- and sold my first large landscape.

Having been part of this Show for a few years now, I've had the opportunity to get to know Maureen MacKenzie from the City of Lacombe, who is on the City's Art Committee and responsible for coordinating that annual event.

Remember that meeting I mentioned in my last post?  Well...when Maureen and two other members of the Art Committee met with me for lunch...and they agreed to host the debut of the Mark on the Body Project as an installation in the upstairs gallery at the Lacombe Memorial Centre!

The exhibit will go up October 20 and run till November 17, 2016.  It will be visible from the foyer...just enough to entice a short trip up the stairs (or on the elevator) to see it "up close and personal".  There will be an official Opening Reception on Wednesday, October 26 (time to be determined)...complete with media etc.!!

Needless to say, I'm over the moon!  I've connected with the Fundraising and Development Coordinators from both the JDRF and the CDA for this area (Central Alberta/Red Deer and District).  Both are excited to see the installation and will be invited to the opening, as will Gracie and Deb, managers of the two galleries in which I show my miniatures.

And I'm now working hard with my SAQA Mentor, Bonnie Jo Smith, to prepare my Artist's talk and a book to accompany the piece -- and I'm knitting away on my third stump sock as well as doing my daily stitching on the main piece.

May 29, 2016 - Left Hand

May 29, 2016 - Abdomen & Thighs

While I work away, my band of loving volunteers are working too.  You saw Lia's sock last month...This month one arrived from Sharon:



In addition, MOB II squares are once more coming in...

Newly-minted squares from Monika and Jo V.

And more have been sent out to volunteer stitchers I met while in Stratford. ON on the Victoria Day holiday weekend...and at Olds. AB, while at a stitching workshop with Monika at the College.

I have on hand another dozen MOB II 'kits' for anyone who would like them; there will be even more available at the installation for folks to work on during the opening or to take home, stitch and send in to be included.  These will be hung as a mobile (or two) so that people can walk around and see them from front and back.  (If you are interested, please contact me at margblank@xplornet.ca.)

I continue to hope that this work will dispel the myths that surround both types of diabetes, and will play a part in increasing financial support for the important research going on here in Alberta -- and around the world -- to better treat, to prevent and ultimately to find a cure for T1D.

Thank you again, Gentle Readers, for your encouragement, your prayers and your support.  By the end of next month, stitching on MOB I will be in the home stretch.  See you then!



No comments:

Post a Comment